ABOUT THE COMPETITION AND COMPETITION RULES
The Lithuanian Design Prize GERAS DIZAINAS is a national competition to discover and celebrate the best design in the country. The competition has been organised annually since 2012 by the association Design Forum.
The Lithuanian Design Prize aims to present innovative, high-quality new products, professional Lithuanian and foreign designers to the public and to motivate entrepreneurs to use the services of designers from the very beginning of product development. Recognition of good product, product and service design promotes the competitive advantage of companies using good design and the designers who create it in the Lithuanian and global markets.
The competition is open to entries in 10 different design categories. Three nominees are selected in each category – 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. The entries are judged by a panel of foreign design professionals. The winning entries are presented in a special exhibition, and the designers then have the opportunity to take part in other projects organised by the Design Forum both in Lithuania and abroad. Each year, projects can be awarded special prizes from partners.
There is no limit to the number of participants in any given category.
Only one entry can be entered in one category.
Entries are divided into 10 categories:
2) Interior – design of public interiors, displays, exhibitions
3) Interior elements – home décor objects, crockery, ceramics, textiles, mirrors, baking, table, disintegration dishes and lamps, etc.
5) Fashion and Jewellery – textiles, handbags, footwear, accessories, costume or wardrobe design (one model or collection is submitted).
6) Social Design and Education – design projects promoting positive social, societal or political change, projects with high educational and social value, social projects, self-learning devices, teaching aids, pre-school toys
7) Visual communication – traditional graphic design projects (corporate identity – brand design, illustrations, business cards, packaging, logos, letterheads, posters, promotional material) and other visual communication elements, calendars, newsletters and leaflets, CDs, DVDs, and record sleeves (record sleeve or record artwork)
8) Multimedia design (projects that are strong in the use of technology, i.e. motion graphics, mobile app design, web design, video, film and animation design, AR/VR design, game design, 3D character design, video animation)
9) Product/Industrial Design – household appliances, household items, vehicles, industrial machinery, cars, electronic devices, technical devices, audio/visual equipment design, sports equipment design, medical design, toys
10) Packaging design
3. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
Applications are open to designers working in Lithuania (citizens of any country) and to companies operating in Lithuania. Projects completed (created or introduced to the market) within two years prior to the competition are eligible. The same work cannot be submitted for more than 2 consecutive years. The organisers have the right to exclude participants whose submissions do not comply with the conditions for participation.
There is a fee of 20 € + VAT per entry. By submitting a work to the competition, the participant undertakes to give the opportunity to exhibit it free of charge in the winners’ exhibitions in Lithuania and abroad.
4. EVALUATION CRITERIA AND JURY
In order to ensure impartiality, the entries will be evaluated by a jury of foreign design professionals from various fields of design and creative directors, who will assess each entry on the basis of the following main aspects of evaluation:
– Innovation – originality and creativity, authenticity of the project idea to the target users. Does the design stand out, bring something new to the market or complement/enhance an existing product or service?
– Ergonomics and functionality – ease of use, positive user experience, interactivity, overall interaction with the user. Benefits of design for the user/society. Does the design meet the intended purpose and needs of the user?
– Eco-friendliness, sustainability and the impact it creates for the community, society and the environment.
– Aesthetic value – trend conformity, appearance, form colour, texture, materiality.
– Functionality – ease of use, safety, maintenance, etc.
– Project documentation and presentation – application submitted in accordance with the requirements, clear and understandable project description.
– Quality – quality and durability of design, durability.
– Emotional value – does the project not only have a practical purpose but also create a sense of pleasure and satisfaction?
– For concepts, in addition, feasibility.
– Objects submitted to the competition should already be manufactured and easily reproduced. Projects that have not yet been realised are placed in the concept category, where the idea of the project and its suitability for realisation are assessed.
The existing evaluation criteria are continuously updated in line with new creative, technical, social, economic and ecological requirements. This is an indicative basis for assessment, supplemented by the expertise and professional experience of each juror.
5. APPLICATION AND EVALUATION PROCEDURE
The Design Award application is submitted electronically on the competition website dizainoprizas.lt.
The applications are evaluated in three stages, with the jury selecting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners from among the 3 nominees in the last stage.
The winners are announced and awarded at an official ceremony and their works are displayed in a special exhibition. The winners are awarded prizes or diplomas. All winners are also entitled to use the “Good Design” label in their communications. The prize-winning entries and their creators are subsequently featured in the media, on www.dizainoprizas.lt and in a special exhibition of the winning entries. The winners of the competition have the opportunity to take part in other projects organised by the association “Design Forum” and to present their work both in Lithuania and abroad.
7. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
The copyright in the entries (photos, videos and texts) belongs to the respective participant or he/she has the right to use the information submitted. The Participant is responsible for the legal status of the submitted project or any damage resulting from any infringement thereof. The participant grants the rights of use and publicity for the project submitted to the “Geras Design” competition.
8. LIABILITY OF THE PARTIES
By completing the registration form, participants agree to the rules of the competition as described in this document. In the event of any legal dispute, the participant accepts full responsibility for the project submitted to the competition.
The competition has been organised annually since 2012 by the association Design Forum.